Why would I want this job?
Reporting to the Director of Financial Planning and Analysis, the Assoc Director R&D FP&A will be responsible for all aspects of Clinical Development Trials and Portfolio Management. In addition, will support other Development activity, including Medical Affairs, Regulatory and Early Research activities. The candidate will be a seasoned finance professional with sound business judgement, knowledge of pharmaceutical industry, Clinical Trials accruals & Forecasting and proven track record of performance.
What would I be doing?
- Responsible for all Financial Planning, Analysis and Reporting for the Clinical & R&D teams’ Financial Cycles including Monthly Close, Quarterly Forecast Updates, Latest Outlook, Annual Budget and Strategic Plan for P&L and Cash Flow planning
- Manage and provide financial analysis, decision support, financial planning and reporting for Clinical Teams around Clinical Study planning & costing, monthly accruals against Study to Date Work Performed and manage overall Clinical Portfolio Summary and related analytics
- Support all other R&D departments monthly close accruals, forecast updates and reporting for Research, Medical Affairs, Regulatory & Safety organizations
- Develop meaningful cash flow forecast and provide R&D related dashboard analysis per program for Executive Leadership Team
- Support all Month End Close activities including Payables B/S reconciliations, cash flow reporting and any R&D ad hoc related audit inquiry
- Develop and support a robust total Clinical Study costing model by Program and reconcile against Study to Date billings for monthly close support and overall study management
- Partner with Commercial teams to support strategic planning analytics, product growth opportunities, oversee the implementation of life cycle management initiatives and/or new product launch and Market Access Strategy
- Support Development and Research operational and external investment opportunities as needed including appropriate resource allocation to support ongoing strategy
- Analyze and challenge financial assumptions underlying Capital and Operating Cost forecast and expense planning to ensure transparency of those assumptions
- Anticipate and evaluate evolving financial risk & opportunities that may impact the R&D teams
- Develop monthly reporting and KPI/Performance dashboards focusing on key performing indicators to track financial performance including variance analysis and commentary
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and participate in R&D team initiatives as needed
- Ensure high level of compliance with all company standards, e.g. GAAP, SOX, Audit requirements, etc.
What would make me qualified?
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required
- 8+ years’ experience of broad financial experience with significant related experience within the biotech or pharmaceutical industry is required
- Experience supporting Clinical Study teams & other R&D departments (i.e. Research & Discovery, Early Translational, Clinical Development, Clinical Operations, Medical Affairs, Regulatory Affairs, Safety, etc.) strongly preferred
- Knowledge of Clinical Study Planning and monthly Work Performed Accrual analysis
- Excellent financial analysis skills, advanced financial modeling, ability to work with large data populations
- Strong understanding of accounting concepts, specifically under US GAAP
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills combined with strong business acumen
- Excellent Business Partnering skills, track record of building relationships and working collaboratively across multiple functions and stakeholders with strong leadership and influencing skills
- Proficiency to tell the qualitative story behind the numbers and prepare insightful visualizations/slides
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (especially Excel & PowerPoint) is required
- Knowledge of Data Warehousing & Business Intelligence Software e.g. Hyperion or TM1 type software preferred
- Experience with Great Plains, NetSuite or related ERP system experience strongly preferred
- Ability to understand big-picture and be detail-oriented
- Demonstrated problem solving skills with ability to present working solutions
- High sense of urgency and ability to identify creative solutions to time sensitive problems
- Positive, flexible and collaborative work ethic who easily adapts to a fast-moving business environment
- Strong communication, organizational and project management skills with the ability to multi-task and prioritize as needed
- Show personal drive, inspire and motivate others being passionate for people and performance
- Create an environment that encourages ownership, accountability, teamwork and motivation