Why would I want this job?
The Controller is responsible for the management and oversight of the accounting function and is responsible for managing a team of internal and outsourced accountants.
What would I be doing?
● People leadership: responsible for developing and leading a team of internal and outsourced accountants and business professionals.
● Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable: This role will be customer-facing, ensuring accounts receivable and invoicing are correct and timely and helping to provide outstanding service.
● Financial reporting: Owns delivery of monthly financial reporting packages and prepares all financial statements. Presentation of financial results to the leadership team with a clear and concise review of current and projected operating results. This role will also be the owner of
external financial reporting.
● Close Process: Managing the month-end close process to ensure accurate and complete financial statements.
● Internal controls: The controller will own the definition, implementation, and audit for accounting and administration. This role will coordinate the preparation of external audit materials.
● Accounting Policy: Assisting in developing and implementing goals, policies, priorities, and procedures relating to financial management, budget, accounting, and/or payroll.
● Business Partnership and Budgeting: Assist the FP&A team with annual budgeting and quarterly forecasting activities to enhance controllership and ensure the organization meets
financial goals and targets. Identify and pursue opportunities for reducing working capital.
● Scaling the Accounting function:
○ Evaluating accounting and financial systems, recommending new systems and procedures, and developing and implementing plans to improve existing systems.
○ Assess and upgrade the finance organization as needed to meet the changing needs of
What would make me qualified?
● 5+ years’ experience in a senior or lead controller role.
● Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business, or a relevant discipline.
● A master’s in accounting and/or CPA license and lease accounting experience are a plus.
● 1-2 years of relevant experience preferred (high volume e-commerce fulfillment, high volume 3rd party logistics, truckload, transportation, or freight management department/company).
● High proficiency in data toolsets like Excel (PowerPivot, Advanced Formulas, Linking to Web and Databricks Data), Databricks, and QuickBooks Online.
● Exceptional written, oral, and interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with all levels of the organization and customers. The ability to elicit cooperation from various sources, including upper management, clients, and other departments, and interact with various work behavior
● Manage difficult or emotional customer situations and respond promptly to customer needs, including conflict resolution
● Balance team and individual responsibilities, give and welcome feedback, and contribute to
building a positive team environment
● Be flexible and collaborative, and possess the grit to overcome challenges and push forward.
● Experience transitioning to new ERP and/or payroll systems, finance tech experience, and project management is preferred.
● Controller/head of accounting role for a small growth company or divisional head of accounting for a bigger company.
● Implementation of an accounting system (preferably NetSuite)
● Data skills: Advanced Excel / Power Pivot / SQL
● Demonstrated history of working with Board / Banking / Auditor
● Remote Management
● Logistics / Fulfillment / E-commerce Experience
● Data Skills: Data bricks / R / Python
● M&A Experience
● SaaS Product Accounting