Why would I want this job?
This is an exciting and challenging opportunity for an experienced accounting professional to play a critical role in the success of company’s global accounting organization. Reporting to the Executive Director of Financial Reporting, Technical Accounting and Internal Controls, this newly created role will be responsible for overseeing the Company’s internal control environment, complex accounting transactions, and ensuring compliance with US GAAP and company standards. This position will also be responsible for various project activities, including risk identification, evaluation and testing to ensure timely completion of SOX requirements and for identifying process improvement within the Finance organization. This is a critical role that will also act as the project manager and integral team member for the finance group after identifying and prioritizing a key list of process improvement projects..
What would I be doing?
- Research, evaluate and document accounting positions in accordance with US GAAP and prepare appropriate internal documentation of technical accounting and other policy conclusions.
- Monitor, evaluate and implement proposed or emerging changes in accounting standards or issues, and proactively communicate to accounting leadership.
- Support the Company’s global accounting policy manual incorporating new policies or procedures resulting from new or changes to existing accounting guidance.
- Collaborate and serve as a key partner to our internal functional teams in understanding the impact of accounting policies including R&D, Tax, Treasury, FP&A, Legal and others as needed.
- Work directly with the Company’s external auditors on various accounting matters, including the Company’s position on complex accounting transactions and other inquiries.
- Work directly with the global accounting teams in support of various accounting and policy related matters including providing training on new or established policies, implementation of new accounting standards, and review of complex accounting calculations and the resulting accounting entries.
- Provide support to the external reporting process with review of key accounting and related matters included in our SEC filing and assist with SEC filings as needed.
- Providing ad hoc reporting, analysis, or assistance in other projects as needed as part of the larger corporate accounting organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
Accounting Controls & Compliance:
- Responsible for controls and compliance oversight within the accounting function to support management’s ICFR opinion.
- Ensure accounting organization and its partners maintain a robust internal control environment and financial accounting practices to ensure accuracy, timeliness and completeness of financial information.
- Partner with internal and external auditors during the annual testing process and serve as primary point of contact.
- Design controls in new processes and communicate establishment of new controls to relevant parties.
- Determine and communicate financial statement materiality to Accounting team.
- Coordinate and/or update SOX documentation and key controls.
- Assist in managing control issues/deficiencies identified throughout the year by management, internal audit or external audit team.
- Support development of system implementation plans and ensure the appropriate controls and procedures are established.
- Perform and document system access and SOC1 reviews for key financial systems.
Continuous Improvement Initiatives:
- Partner with the business to understand changes to the Company’s operations to ensure that financial reporting and operational risks are identified and appropriately mitigated.
- Rationalize, automate and simplify existing internal controls.
- Deliver training, education and implement process improvement initiatives with respect to processes and internal controls over financial reporting.
- Involvement in various transformational projects to identify potential changes in processes and controls.
- Design and implement tools and processes to identify, approve, and track contracted deliverables across the business.
- Maintain regular communication with key members of management to align on expectations and keep them apprised of key and emerging issues.
- Identify and support continuous improvement opportunities that transform and streamline the end-to-end process and drive efficiencies and/or higher performance levels.
What would make me qualified?
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Active Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license required.
- 10+ years of technical accounting experience.
- Big 4 public accounting firm experience is strongly required, having reached the Senior Manager level.
- Strong technical accounting background with a thorough knowledge of US GAAP, internal controls and SEC reporting standards, as well as experience with technical research and preparation of accounting position papers. Must be able to research and interpret accounting guidance and draft accounting memos to support conclusions.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact and build relationships across all levels of the organization.
- Experience designing and implementing end-to-end processes from a blank piece of paper.
- Experience in a similar role in a publicly traded, multinational company with international operations.
- Strong critical thinking skills and attention to detail.
- Expert operational knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel).
- Experience with Oracle preferred.
- Ability to work collaboratively across multiple functional units and levels within the organization.
- Highly detail-oriented, organized, self-motivated, and proactive.
- Strong work ethic and demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong organizational skills enabling simultaneous management of multiple projects.
- Highly motivated, results-oriented with ability to take initiative in a diverse organization.
- Sound judgement and business acumen.
- Strong interpersonal skills to manage a team of professionals.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Maintain confidentiality over all finance and accounting matters and information.