Why would I want this job?
Our client seeks a high performing Manager to join the External Financial Reporting and Technical Accounting department. This individual will be responsible for performing a broad range of accounting and reporting responsibilities.
What would I be doing?
The primary objective of this position is help support and manage the preparation of the Company’s external SEC financial statements such as the 20F, 6K, and press releases. In addition, the individual will help research, document, and implement new accounting and/or reporting requirements, as standards dictate. There may be opportunities for the position to assist Management in preparing highly technical accounting activities, such as impairment analyses or coordinate with external consultants necessary to perform such activities, as valuations. This individual will report to the Director of External Financial Reporting and Technical Accounting and coordinate with China Reporting team counterparts, US and China finance and accounting, external consultants, operational functions, internal audit, and external auditors.
The ideal candidate will be organized, proactive, and intellectually curious. You are also a team player who collaborates well with colleagues and business partners. You bring experience and are not afraid to think outside the box/pitch ideas on how to improve financial reporting activities and challenge the way the team thinks about accounting and reporting guidance.
- External Reporting
- Manage the preparation of the Company’s external financial statements and related disclosures for the Company’s 6K and 20-F filings with the SEC, including the preparation of clear, concise, and referenced supporting documentation to support each filing.
- Manage the process of compiling supporting documentation for the Company’s quarterly earnings release.
- Manage the XBRL electronic filing processes with external vendor in preparation of filing the SEC the financial statements.
- Evaluate IFRS and SEC disclosure requirements to ensure company’s financial reporting compliance.
- Assess current collection of data and reporting processes to help enhance/automate the future reporting process through automation
- Technical Accounting and Policies
- Monitor SEC and IFRS accounting developments in order to remain aware of upcoming/relevant requirements that will affect accounting and financial reporting
- Manage the research and implementation of new accounting and disclosure requirements on a worldwide basis. This includes the preparation of detailed accounting whitepapers/memos
- Assist with the revenue recognition review of new contracts in accordance with IFRS and company’s revenue policy. This includes reviewing agreements, discussing transactions with the business, FP&A and Legal, and documenting the review process.
- Perform ad hoc technical accounting research and participate in various special projects on an as needed basis.
- Prepare all related deliverables (memos, tie-outs, etc) to full SOX compliance standards
- Assist and coordinate with external and internal auditors to ensure all financial reporting and technical accounting requests are handled on a timely basis and any relevant issues are communicated to Management immediately.
- Effectively manage multiple competing priorities in a deadline driven environment.
We are looking for people who:
- Familiarity with general ledger systems
- Have SOX Experience with assessing and documenting internal controls
- Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize, manage schedule and setup meetings to achieve results without supervision
- Proactive in achieving results and investigating issues
- Ability to delegate workload to meet department objectives
- Ability to coach staff and provide feedback
What would make me qualified?
- Bachelor degree in Accounting is required.
- CPA Required.
- 5 to 7 years accounting experience, with at least 3-4 years public accounting experience
- Big 4 accounting/audit experience is a preferred
- Experience with Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) is required
- Experience in life science industry is preferred, but not mandatory
- Knowledge of IFRS is preferred, but a solid knowledge of US GAAP will be beneficial in IFRS understanding/research
- Experience with performing technical accounting research and preparing accounting memos
- Experience with drafting financial statement filings with the SEC (10-Q/6K and 10-K/20-F)
Capabilities, Knowledge, and skills:
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, as required, in a fast-paced, matrixed, team environment consisting of internal and external team members
- Experience with XBRL and/or filing SEC financial statements is a plus
- Experience in SAP (S/4 Hana) is preferred, but not required
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written, along with the ability to influence and demonstrate confidence in communications with senior level management
- Process-oriented with strong attention to detail
- Mandarin is a plus