Why would I want this job?
Reporting to the VP Controller, the Senior Director of Technical Accounting, Financial Reporting and Assistant Contoller will be responsible for overseeing, coordinating and performing complex technical accounting, ensuring timely and compliant filing of all SEC periodic and current reports (i.e., Forms 10-Q, 10-K and 8-K) pursuant to GAAP and SEC requirements; for assisting with communications with the Audit Committee; and for assisting with interactions with Investor Relations and reviewing the propriety of non-GAAP disclosures in our earnings releases and investor presentations. The Senior Director will oversee the direction of the Technical Accounting and Financial Reporting team and will directly lead and supervise applicable team members. As Assistant Contoller the Senior Director will assist the Controller broadly to design and implement the financial reporting environment, ensure compliance with GAAP, develop KPIs and provide insights to senior management and functional area leaders.
What would I be doing?
Technical Accounting Responsibilities
- Researching and recommending accounting treatment, including the preparation and review of position memos for complex transactions and other business initiatives and ensuring concurrence, where applicable, from external auditors
- Providing technical accounting consultation to senior management on significant transactions before they are executed, performing ad hoc research to advise management on the possible accounting implications, and advising on potential provisions or structure changes that can result in more favorable accounting treatment
- Proactively identifying technical accounting risks that may arise in the future because of expected changes in accounting standards, contract provisions, the nature of transactions, etc., performing or coordinating research on the implications, and developing recommendations for how to manage that technical accounting risk and/or to manage related disclosure/market risk
- Reviewing and providing guidance on technical accounting work and memos completed by others on the team
Financial Reporting Responsibilities
- Direct the completion of financial reporting requirements of the Company in accordance with internal policies and US GAAP, which may include the preparation and review of the Company’s 10-K, 10-Q, and 8-K filings, among others
- Helping oversee the management of the SEC reporting tool functionality and transformation initiatives as well as how they integrate with our ERP or other systems, and taking into account internal control requirements and system limitations and requirements
- Coordinating with legal and HR on preparation of the proxy (which is managed by SEC counsel/HR) and overseeing the preparation of the financial reporting components of the proxy
- As needed, assisting with interactions with Investor Relations and SEC Counsel regarding the propriety and accuracy of non-GAAP disclosures in our earnings releases and investor presentations.
- Leading a team of direct reports; provide functional leadership by fostering teamwork, providing coaching and developing team members
- Managing the implementation of SOX Internal Controls
- When control issues are identified, or when changes to controls are necessary, to ensure that our controls are designed effectively, documented appropriately, that deficiencies are appropriately documented, evaluated, and mitigated, and that they operate effectively on an ongoing basis
- Helping manage communications and relationship with external auditors on external financial statements and accounting issues to ensure auditor agreement with company decisions on accounting disclosures and issues, and to facilitate cooperative and effective working relationships
- Assisting with communications to senior management and the Audit Committee(s), as needed, at the direction of the VP
What would make me qualified?
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Accounting required.
- Extensive knowledge of SEC rules and regulations required.
- Active CPA license required.
- Minimum of 10 years’ relevant experience with significant focus on public company financial reporting (SEC registrants) and technical accounting research and documentation required.
- Working knowledge of SOX internal control requirements.
- Biotechnology or pharmaceutical experience preferred.
- Public accounting experience preferred.
- Ability to interact effectively and collaboratively with C-level executives, SEC counsel, investor relations, operations, board members and external auditors required.
- Demonstrated strong leadership, organization, time management and communication skills required.
- Proficiency with MS Office required.