Why would I want this job?
The Division Controller is responsible and accountable for maintaining the general ledger and preparing financial reporting for the operating Company and its subsidiaries.
What would I be doing?
General Ledger and Financial Reporting
• Maintain books and records and prepare/upload monthly financial statements and supporting schedules accurately and in accordance with FASB US Accounting Standards Codification per the Company’s administrative reporting schedule.
• Prepare other supplementary financial schedules required for external reporting as required.
• Prepare external reporting, as required, for customers, auditors, government agencies, corporate management, and other stakeholders.
• Oversee books and records of subsidiaries as applicable.
• Manage third party providers involved in financial reporting.
• Prepare monthly Division Controller’s report and certification to Corporate Finance.
Supervise and Develop Finance Staff
• Supervise finance staff to ensure all job functions are completed accurately.
• Develop staff to ensure proper cross-training, coverage during vacations or unplanned absences, and to provide opportunities for future progression within the Company.
• Maintain a respectful and professional work environment.
Budgeting and Forecasting
• Prepare annual budgets and periodic forecasts as required including supporting financial analysis.
• Oversee preparation of weekly cashflow forecasts and provide to Corporate Finance
• Analyze actual versus budget/forecast performance to understand causes of significant variances to expected results.
• Provide explanation of significant variances to budget/forecast to the Corporate Finance.
Conduct Monthly Reviews of Construction Projects In-Process
• Conduct monthly reviews with project management of the financial status of all construction projects in process.
• Ensure project status and the Construction-in-Process reports are complete and accurate.
• Ensure compliance with US FASB Accounting Standards Codification for construction accounting and revenue recognition.
Maintain an Effective Control Environment
• Ensure that an effective internal control environment is maintained by completing monthly balance sheet account analysis, assessing compliance with new Company finance policies, and implementing corrective action for any weaknesses noted from internal and external audits.
• Ensure that staff are properly trained for their job functions and that all work performed meets professional standards.
Maintain proper safeguard and control over Company assets including but not limited to:
o Approve bank reconciliations for bank accounts.
o Ensure that accounts receivable is collected and accounts payable paid in accordance with contract terms.
• Ensure external and internal audits note no material weaknesses
• Ensure any post-closing adjusting entries or material weaknesses noted from prior audits have been reviewed to ensure corrective action has been implemented.
• Prepare client assistance schedules on timely and accurate basis. Any deficiencies noted should be corrected promptly once identified.
Income and Sales Tax Compliance
• Prepare tax schedules, filings, and payments as required by the Company’s income tax preparer.
• Prepare and file sales, commercial activity tax, and harmonized sales taxes.
Support Operations Management Team
• Be the Business Owner and subject matter expert for SAP S4 Hana ERP
• As directed by the Division President, including but not limited to:
o Participating in management staff meetings.
o Complete internal management reporting as required.
o Support project management and information systems.
o Develop a P&L for all business areas.
Gain a thorough understanding of company end-to-end business processes to:
Ensure all financial inputs are correct and are accurately flowing through the organization (labor rates, burden rates, etc.)
Set-up a standard process to analyze departmental financials in order to catch issues in advance and to capture data for future trend analysis and KPI development.
Understand the information needs of departments so routine financial reporting can be provided to department managers.
Implement and maintain a continuous improvement process so all accounting processes remain relevant to the changing business needs.
Prepare and present cost improvement initiatives to the Division President.
Capital Investments and Leasing
• Conduct a financial review of proposed capital investments and leases in accordance with financial policies.
• Obtain requisite approvals for projects in accordance with policies prior to commencing spending.
• Maintain fixed asset ledgers and lease commitment schedules that reconcile to investments made.
• Ensure no asset disposals are made prior to pre-approval.
• Ensure end of lease procedures are followed and that lease exit costs are reviewed and recorded in accordance with US FASB Accounting Standards Codification.
What would make me qualified?
• CPA or MBA in financial management with five years of experience in senior accounting staff or controller roles.
• Knowledge of US FASB Accounting Standards Codification.
• An understanding of the application of construction accounting methods including experience with PoC revenue recognition method.
• Commitment required. Able to set and meet goals; sincere care for others; overwhelming desire to win and to be part of a winning team.